Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 4, 2011


Next week, I'll be jumping the pond to embark on a WWOOF-ing adventure in the western Algarve of Southern Portugal. 

WWOOF, or World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms, is  global exchange program, in which hosts provide volunteers food, accommodation, and opportunites to learn about organic lifestyles in return for their work. These opportunities aren't limited to organic farms, though. Included in the international network of hosts are hostels, sustainable-living communities, eco-retreats, restaurants, B&Bs, yoga centers, etc. 

I've known about WWOOF-ing for quite a while. I always thought it seemed like such an incredible adventure. What better way to travel, meet new people, experience a different culture, and perhaps most enticing ... immerse myself in an environmentally-sound, socially-conscious lifestyle, a lifestyle grounded on the very ideals I find myself committed to learning from and working towards every day, both personally and professionally. 

I've realized, especially over the past year, that there is never a better time than the present to leap into something you are most passionate about. I've been fortunate enough to have some some strange and unexpected reminders of that. 

So my WWOOF search began with a few criteria in mind. Although I wasn't opposed to straight-up farm work, I focused my search on an even more holistic vision of sustainability. This was a vision that embraced environmental conservation, social change, and an active, organic lifestyle. Enter.... Tipi Valley



Tipi Valley is a surf and yoga eco-retreat. The camp is situated in a secluded natural valley amongst 16 acres of native cork trees at a short distance away from several surf beaches. It doesn't look too shabby... 

  


I'll have more to post soon regarding the site itself and the nature of the actual work I'll be doing to help get the camp up and running, but in the meantime, check out the link above to learn more about Tipi Valley, or watch this short video (which offers some further insight into Tipi Valley's "simple living" philosophy and conservation endeavors). I'll   have limited access to internet while there, as the camp itself runs on solar polar, but I'll do my best to keep up with this blog by traveling into some of the local townsIt's my attempt at capturing and documenting this adventurous window in time for myself, as well as communicating and sharing my experience with friends and family. 

Thanks for reading : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment